英语权威发布成人高考高起点英语专项练习题及答案(9)，I. Phonetics (10 Points) Directions: In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronun[…]
I. Phonetics (10 Points)
In each of the following groups of words, there are four underlined letter combinations marked A, B, C and D. Compare the underlined parts and identify the one that is different from the others in pronunciation. Mark your answer by blackening the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
1. A. height B. hopefully C. honest D. housing
2. A. generation B. mention C. memory D. metallic
3. A. persuaded B. happened C. treated D. wounded
4. A. shout B. touch C. announce D. about
5. A. excuse B. exercise C. explain D. extremely
6. A. medium B. western C. Mediterranean D. revolution
7. A. castle B. vast C. waste D. fasten
8. A. disappear B. fear C. year D. pear
9. A. doubt B. sound C. famous D. found
10. A. correct B. discover C. comfort D. come
Vocabulary and Structure (40 points)
There are 40 incomplete sentences in this section. For each sentence there are four choices marked A, B, C and D. Choose one answer that best completes the sentence and blacken the corresponding letter on the Answer Sheet.
11. The research laboratory is going to the new type of computer to use.
A. take B. make C. put D. bring
12. The old woman has a letter from her son in the army to her.
A. read B. write C. written D. received
13. of the earth is made up of vast oceans.
A. Two-third B. Two thirds C. Two third D. Twos- third
14. Stamps which you don’t want to keep can be with others.
A. changed B. traded C. threw D. collected
15. “Jack is no more careful than Tom” means .
A. Both Jack and Tom are careful B. Neither Jack nor Tom is careless
C. Both Jack and Tom are careless D. Tom is careful, but Jack isn’t
16. While cleaning a long-deserted house the other day I came an old photo
of my grandpa.
A. to B. by C. across D. with
17. Jane was ill for about a week, She didn’t until yesterday.
A. get good B. get rid of C. get over D. get on
18. —I feel a bit thirsty.
—Why don’t you have tea?
A. any B. some C. little D. a few
19. When wood is burnt, it heat and light, together with heavy smoke.
A. give up B. sends up C. sends away D. sends out
20. The soldier from a wound and died a heroic .
A. died …deadly…death B. was dead…dying…death
C. died…dead…dying D. was dying…dead…death
21.—Do you think we’ll still catch the train?
— Well, we won’t we walk faster.
A. as B. unless C. until D. no matter how
22. —Do you mind if I smoke here?
A. No, please don’t B. Yes, please
C. No, not at all D. Yes, if you like
23. —May I move your bag a little and take this seat?
A. I don’t mind B. Go ahead C. It doesn’t matter D. You do it, please
24. —When will you be free this month, Mr. White?
— , maybe we’ll be free next Sunday.
A. Let me be B. Let me see C. Think it over D. I’m afraid
25. —May I come to attend your lecture?
A. No, you’d better not come B. Sure
C. It’s not worth listening to D. My pleasure
26. He said he had bought dictionary week before, and
dictionary was great help to him.
A. a…the…the…a B. a…/…the…/
C. a…/…/…a D. the…the…the…the
27. Mr. Brown, together with his students, to the Science Museum.
A. has gone B. are going C. have gone D. have been
28. Although he was in a hurry, he stopped the old man to carry the heavy box.
A. helping B. to help C. being helped D. helped
29. During the holidays I shall help my father .
A. with working B. with his work C. for work D. for working
30. —Where on earth do we get light and heat?
—It is from the sun we get them.
A. which B. on which C. where D. that
31. It’s about time that this problem .
A. to settle B. should be settled C. be settled D. to be settled
32. A person a foreign language must be able to use the foreign language
all his own.
A. learning, forgetting B. who learns, to forget
C. to learn, to forget D. using, but
33. Einstein was given the Nobel Prize Physics in 1921.
A. in B. at C. on D. for
34. In the geography lesson, the teacher told the children that the earth round like a ball.
A. was B. is C. were D. had been
35. His father died and him a lot of money.
A. sent B. afforded C. left D. gave
36. No sooner had he left the police arrived.
A. when B. then C. than D. before
37. Still water run .
A. quick B. deeply C. deep D. quickly
38. He often goes to school by bike it rains.
A. besides B. except for C. except D. except when
39. It is important us the balance of nature.
A. for…to keep B. of…to keep
C. for…keeping D. of…to have kept
40. There is little ink in the bottle, ?
A. isn’t there B. isn’t it C. is there D. is it
41. There are many in this hospital.
A. woman doctors B. women doctors C. women doctor D. doctor woman
42. Your coat will lose its color it is washed.
A. after B. until C. though D. not until
43. —What shall we do this weekend, Sara?
—What about to a movie?
A. go B. going C. went D. to go
44. It is quite clear he won’t see us.
A. what B. that C. why D. how
45. There is “u” and “s” in the word “us”.
A. a…a B. a…an C. an…a D. an…an
46. Tom told me that you were going to take a trip to America, ?
A. wouldn’t you B. didn’t he C. weren’t you D. didn’t you
47. Science seems closer to the question.
A. to be getting…answering…puzzling B. to get…answer…puzzled
C. to be getting…answer…puzzling D. getting…answer…puzzling
48. , we must take time to discuss it carefully.
A. Being rather difficult
B. Because the question being rather difficult
C. the question being rather difficult
D. Because the question be rather difficult
49. The teacher told you to do it .
A. how he said B. as you had been shown
C. which he told you D. what you had heard
50. More than one person that kind of experience.
A. has had B. have had C. are having D. were having
1. C 2. D 3. B 4. B 5. B
6. A 7. C 8. D 9. C 10. A
II.Vocabulary and Structure
11. C 12. A 13. B 14. B 15. C
16. C 17. C 18. B 19. D 20. A
21. B 22. C 23. B 24. B 25. B
26. A 27. A 28. B 29. B 30. D
31. B 32. A 33. D 34. B 35. C
36. C 37. C 38. D 39. A 40. C
41. B 42. A 43. B 44. B 45. B
46. C 47. A 48. C 49. B 50. A